My main research so far has been about the success of branding over advertising and the brand loyalty that customers have towards specific brands.
I want to communicate that branding has a huge impact on how a product can be sold. To do this, I hope to either:
- Take a really poorly branded product and rebrand it completely.
- Rebrand a catalogue from the 1920's to work in our economy today.
- Rebrand a product from the 1920's so it could be sold successfully in society today.
- Rebrand an American product that isn't in the UK yet to work with UK branding principles.
Some sources of primary research could include:
- Create a questionairre for people to fill out on what they think makes a successful product that they would purchase.
- Look at the advertising/production/branding of existing products.
Some sources of secondary research could include:
- Looking at books and magazines about consumerism and advertising.
- Looking online at blogs.
- Maybe email a company asking how they market their product.
In order to come to a conclusion with my design work, I am going to try to stick to this schedule:
- Week 1: Decide on a direction to take my design work down.
- Week 2: Find a product / catalogue to rebrand.
- Week 3: Research into what makes a successful brand - colour theory? typography? Ask people which brands they think are most successful and why?
- Week 4: Idea generation - begin creating thumbnail logo designs / layout designs for catalogue.
- Week 5: Digitalise the successful designs - preferably after receiving feedback from a critique.
- Week 6: Create the product labels and actually create the product.
- Week 7: Carry out a survey to see if they product is more successful now.
- Week 8: Gather all research for hand-in.