Tuesday 10 January 2017

OUGD601 - Printed Publication Fiasco

After having successfully printed the publication, I thought it would be a good idea to get on with printing the dissertation, which is time consuming as it's out of university and it takes around an hour and a half. When I came back, dissertation in hand raring to go, I didn't expect to find that the digital prints weren't perfect at all!

Some of the pages had printed slightly off, some of the text was very close to the bleed and to make matters worse a page of content had decided to not print at all! (see image below).


I then tried to print it out on the printer in the graphic design room and... it's upside down!


Then I tried to print it 'correctly' and it had automatically scaled the spread the fit an A4 sheet of paper. However, it was close... so I tried it again and... you guessed it. Printer jam.


So I went to a different graphics room, however the printer was absolutely terrible quality. I had to try and find a technician to come fix it, and by the time I got back the printer was working again.



Trying to resolve this issue took out a huge chunk of the day. Firstly, I went back to digital print to see if I could get it reprinted during drop in, however the queue was gigantic and I was told to come back the next day, which is impossible due to the other practical elements I still have to complete (the advertisement).

Instead, it was decided that the only way to resolve the issue with the publication was to attempt to print off the page again on the printer in the graphic design room. Here are some of the failed attempts.

Finally, however, the printer did manage to print the page correctly and the publication will now be bound and the cover will be added.

It's quite frustrating as the publication looks a lot better on screen, however I'm glad that I managed to find some kind of solution to the issue as it would've been a complete waste if the printed copy was completely messed up.

Lesson learnt.

In future modules, I will make sure that I stay and bind the book / check over the prints whilst still in digital print to ensure that each page works successfully and doesn't need to be reprinted. It's also useful taking note that I will definitely be booking a printing slot again in the future as it was close to hassle free and everything that I wanted printing did get printed to a high quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment